Friday, February 19, 2010

1970 (mix CD of every year of my life series):
1. Layla (Derek & the Dominos)
2. Freedom Rider (Traffic) (official audio)
3. Moondance (Van Morrison)
4. The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie) (official audio)
5. Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
6. Ohio (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
7. Wild World (Cat Stevens)
8. Fire and Rain (James Taylor)
9. Ripple (Grateful Dead) (official audio)
10. After the Gold Rush (Neil Young) (official audio)
11. Stagnation (Genesis) (official audio)
12. Knife Edge (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) (unofficial live video)
13. Since I've Been Loving You (Led Zeppelin) (official audio)
14. I Found Out (John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band) (official audio)
15. Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul McCartney)
16. My Sweet Lord (George Harrison) (official audio)
17. Let It Be (The Beatles) (official audio)

Tribute to the break-up of The Beatles in the last four tracks. The version of "Let It Be" is the album version, but I should have used the Past Masters version with the different guitar solo since that's the version I first heard on the "blue album".

1969:
1. Good Times Bad Times (Led Zeppelin) (official audio)
2. Everyday People (Sly & the Family Stone) (official audio)
3. Come Together (The Beatles) (official audio)
4. Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
5. Pinball Wizard (The Who)
6. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash) (official audio)
7. Can't Find My Way Home (Blind Faith)
8. Honky Tonk Woman (The Rolling Stones)
9. Living in the Past (Jethro Tull)
10. Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young & Crazy Horse) (official audio)
11. The Silent Sun (Genesis) (official audio)
12. Touch Me (The Doors)
13. Hey Bulldog (The Beatles)
14. Victoria (The Kinks)
15. Heartbreaker/Livin' Lovin' Maid (She's Just a Woman) (Led Zeppelin) (official audio)
16. Funky Drummer (James Brown) (official audio)
17. 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson)
18. Space Oddity (David Bowie)
19. Give Peace a Chance (John Lennon)

Rock 'n' roll roots. Most of these songs I was well familiar with in high school. The black music came a little later; FM radio in my youth was very much segregated and I grew up in white suburbia. I'm just telling it as it was, we didn't listen to black music, we weren't exposed to it. We also resisted the idea that women could rock and no one had the vocabulary to tell us that was a stupid and closed-minded notion.

Sly & the Family Stone reached my ears in college. "Everyday People" was #1 on the charts the week I was born. I'm pretty happy about that. I find it shameful that I didn't appreciate James Brown until college, but that's racism for you. If you fancy yourself a bassist and you're not introduced to James Brown, your education is deficient and your development of groove is faulty.